Many businesses struggle to think of new and creative ways to increase website traffic. There is a lot of misinformation on the internet about how to attract more visitors, which can lead to repeating the same tired strategies and not seeing positive results.
If you want to increase website traffic in both organic and paid ways, here are ten tried-and-true methods.
1. Conduct Keyword Research
Include relevant keywords in your content at all times. Keywords should be used naturally, rather than being crammed into the content to the point where they detract from the main idea or distract the reader. Keywords should be used throughout the content, such as the meta description, page title, URL, headers, and a few times throughout the piece.
Keyword research tools such as Moz, Ahrefs, and SEMrush can be used. These sites display what keywords competitors are using, how frequently people search for keywords, how expensive the keyword is for pay-per-click ads, related keywords, and a wealth of other useful information to help guide keyword strategy. Hiring an SEO agency is another option, as they can provide valuable insights and perform audits to identify issues that may be preventing your site from appearing in search engines.
2. Develop Memorable Content
It is not enough to simply post content; you must also create content that is memorable and cuts through the clutter. In fact, one of the most effective ways to increase website traffic is to create useful and memorable content.
Google is used by people to find specific, thorough, and accurate answers to their questions, and your content should be there to provide those answers. In fact, websites that include blog content generate 434 percent more search engine-indexed pages than those that do not. Furthermore, sites that publish more than 16 posts per month receive nearly 3.5 times the traffic of those that publish zero to four articles per month.
The bottom line is that when you care about the content you create, post on a regular basis, and research what your audience wants to see, and your web traffic should increase.
3. Submit Guest Posts
Guest posting on other websites is an efficient way to build backlinks, increase referral traffic, and improve search engine results page (SERP) rankings. To pitch, you should always conduct extensive research on websites in your industry. To begin, examine a website’s content to ensure it is of high quality, as well as its domain authority and guest posting guidelines. In addition, ask the publication if they will promote the post on social media and tag you.
4. Maintain Active Social Media Pages
The importance of social media in attracting visitors cannot be overstated. Here are some examples of how it can be used to increase website traffic:
- Distribute content (blogs, e-books, white papers, infographics, videos, and so on) across your social media channels.
- Respond to followers, repost their content, and tag them in your posts.
- Make use of relevant hashtags.
- When new content is released, update the link in your bio to promote it.
- To promote new content, change the cover photo.
- Influencers who may be interested in the content should be tagged.
- Include enticing content information to entice people to click the link to it.
- Respond to others who are looking for answers by including links to your content.
5. Make use of advertising to boost website traffic.
Paid search, social media, and display ads can all be effective ways to increase website traffic. Each option has advantages and disadvantages — for example, users can block display ads, and the average cost per click for Google Ads on the search network is between $1 and $2 per click — so it’s critical to set budgets and goals before investing a lot of money into it.
For example, when running pay-per-click (PPC) ads, it’s critical to start with one campaign and a few different ad groups that contain the keywords you want to target the most. Once campaigns have begun, observe how audiences respond to various keywords. Perhaps one keyword produced only impressions, which did not increase website traffic, whereas another produced clicks and conversions.
6. Send out email newsletters
Content promotion via email newsletters is an effective way to increase website traffic. Here are some best practices for email marketing:
- In the subject line and body of the email, include enticing information from the content.
- Include a link or button that subscribers can use to access additional content.
- Check that your emails are mobile-friendly. Because mobile devices account for 46 percent of all email opens, links should be easily visible.
- Use personalization tactics by including the subscriber’s name.
- Use well-designed templates to make the email visually appealing.
- A/B testing should be used to determine which versions of emails receive the most opens and clicks.
7. Outreach to Influencers
Influencers in the industry are eager to share content that their followers will enjoy. Businesses can reach out to influencers in a variety of ways, including:
- If your piece contains a reference to the influencer’s content or research, tag them in a social media post.
- Request an interview/Q&A with the influencer, then tag or email the influencer when the content is published. They will almost certainly share your content with their audience.
- Create a round-up with multiple influencers (for example, “10 Experts Predict Small Business Trends for 2020”) and tag each participant when promoting the post on social media.
- Influencers can be paid to run sponsored posts on their social media pages.
If you’re not sure where to begin, use tools like HypeAuditor and BuzzSumo to find the right influencers in your industry, or contact a digital marketing agency that can handle influencer outreach for you.
8. Develop a Useful Industry Tool or Content
Giving prospects something useful is an excellent way to increase traffic. For example, at our content marketing agency, we developed an editorial calendar template that was available for free download to anyone. We wanted to provide marketers with a tool to help them create and share content more easily.
Create a variety of tools and content that will benefit others in your industry, and then make them available for free on their websites. You can maximize your returns and find new leads by posting gated content/tools (offering the content and tools in exchange for the user’s contact information). Another strategy for increasing website traffic is to promote the content/tools on relevant LinkedIn Groups or forums where industry professionals interact.
9. Distribute Press Releases to Important Publications
Businesses that create press releases to promote themselves or their clients should not simply post them on a press release syndication website and wait to see what happens. They must actively promote the release and distribute it to influential websites and publications in their respective industries.
When we want to share the good news about a client, we send it to industry blogs and publications that their target audience reads. As a result, we are able to generate dozens of new leads and increase referral traffic for the client.
10. Trade Backlinks
There are numerous opportunities for backlink exchanges with so many businesses attempting to increase website traffic. Contact relevant sites and offer your content as an additional resource for one of their posts. To sweeten the deal, offer a mutually beneficial backlink exchange, offering to include one of their links in a post of yours as well.
Increasing Website Traffic Right Now
Businesses that take these steps can expect to see an increase in website traffic over time. While many of these strategies provide immediate gratification, others will require more time and patience. Continue to push forward by experimenting with different methods and analyzing the results.